VISTA System Management Daily or Weekly Tasks
The VISTA system, like any other database, needs to be monitored appropriately. I will mention here database related monitoring and then VISTA related monitoring. Many of the tasks that are inexpensive to check are better checked with a continuous such as Nagios or Munin.
- Global growth rate
- Lock table consumption
- Daily back-up is happening daily; weekly check that the backup that was made can actually bring the system back-up
- Journal file growth rate
- Back-up and Journal file rotation (delete old ones based on business requirements)
- Database blocks integrity checks
- Check disk space for all partitions
- Check printer queues
- # of processes
- Processes consuming 100% of a single CPU that are running for more than 1 hour
- Network latency for all major network nodes in which the database is spread out; and from where it is usually accessed by users.
- Taskman performance, especially:
- Resource Devices
- Printer Devices
- Global growth by specific Fileman file
- HL7 messages continuous flow
- Error trap
- Taskman error trap
- Check ^TMP, ^XTMP and ^%ZTSK making sure that they are appropriately purged daily
- Check programmer mode log-ins
- Check excessive log-ins from a single location
- Check that nightly tasks ran (can be ignored as long as there are no history of problems)
- Check disk usage
- Check user's usages
- Check queues to make sure that they are not backed up
- Check Alerts
- How many?
- Who isn't processing them?
- System (errors) or Clinical Alerts?
- PIMS Reports
- Potential duplicate patients recently entered
- Patient movements that are incomplete (I don't know how to do that)