Where do I Start
Of course, you should start by looking at the different versions of VistA, installing one on your computer, and trying it out. Once you've done that, here are a series of pages to direct your interests.
- Basic VistA Architecture
- CPRS -- the powerful front end to VistA
- Usage -- what to do once it's installed and running smoothly
- VistA Administration -- more on management
- Evaluator Page -- if you are considering whether VistA is right for you.
- Vendor Page -- if you are hoping to make money supporting VistA, or a regional expert needing to install your 1000 client quota (in order to get stimulus funds). Additional information regarding installation, Configuration, and support is provided.
For MUMPSters and Novice Programmers
If you already know MUMPS, here are some technical references to get you deeper into the system fast.
- MUMPS and VistA - Basic programming guides.
- Begin Configuration of Vista - A lengthy guide written in 2005, but clear and still useful.
- VistA Programming Issues - A collection of how-to solutions to frequent VistA programming problems.
- List of menu commands in VistA - An organized list of all 9,000 menu items accessible within VistA.
- Package Interface Specifications - A link to a manual of CPRS hooks.